How It Works
The Filters in FogBugz are only used to filter out cases within the platform. There are basic filters and advanced filters; the second allows you to "refine further". An advanced filter is used for precision, provided you have the maximum detailed information about the case you are searching for.
Refine Further - Advanced Filter
Below are some features of the Advanced Filter:
- To see fewer cases, refine a filter by adding a criterion by clicking on the name of the filter after expanding "Refine Further". Multiple categories can be selected to refine the search.
- Personal filters can be created by refining an existing filter.
- Any minor modification to the filter can produce different results.
- Filters provide a wide range of sub-filters so that the best results are produced.
To enter a text-specific filter, click on "Refine Further" to expand the drop-down list, then click on "Search For", and add the search criteria you require.
FogBugz supports advanced support queries which can be found under Filtering and Searching in the Help Center.
The Sort Filter is used to sort any of the columns, from ascending to descending order and vice versa. Descending order is also known as "reversed".
Extended Use of the Filter Feature
Additional features of the filter allow the results to be displayed in various formats.
The following controls are located under the "More" option:
- RSS Feed - It provides an RSS feed link for the current filter which you can use in your RSS aggregator.
NOTE: RSS Feeds are only available when you have saved the filter.
- Permanent Link - It reloads the page with a URL that fully describes the current filter in the query string. This allows you to share the exact same filter with another user.
- Export to CSV - To export the cases in your current filter to a CSV file.
NOTE: This will export the table as you see it in the filter, including the order of the columns and cases.
Case View Control
- Case List (Default View) - When you are looking at a list of cases in grid view, you can:
- Rearrange columns
- Sort by a column
- Change the width of a column
- Autosize a column
- Chart - Presents the filter output, allowing you to create professional PowerPoint presentations based on the various chart options.
- Changes Over Time - It displays the number of filtered cases that have changed over time.
Review the article Filter Options for more information on the options described above.
Using Filters in the API
FogBugz has three kinds of Filters:
- Built-In Filters are always present and include "My Cases" and sometimes the main "Inbox" if FogBugz is used to read mail.
- Saved Filters are created and saved by users.
- Shared Filters can be shared by administrators to all users.
The following command is used to list Filters:
The result is:
<filter type="builtin" sFilter="ez349">My Cases</filter>
<filter type="saved" sFilter="304">Cases I should have closed months ago</filter>
<filter type="shared" sFilter="98" status="current">Customer Service Top 10</filter>
NOTE: Type can be
"shared". The list of filters is already in the same order that users are used to seeing it in the FogBugz user interface and should be preserved.
"sFilter" is an opaque string that can be passed back to
One or none of the filters may have the
status="current" indicating that this is the user's current filter. If none of the filters has the
status="current", the user is probably looking at an ad-hoc filter that has not been saved yet.
To change the current filter (pass in the
sFilter attribute from the
listFilters command), use this command:
The result will be empty.