What is it?
This KB article will help you understand how reporting in Manuscript enables you to visualize the cases in any filter as a graphical chart or data table.
Who will use it?
All Agents, End-User
How is it used?
Choose “Pie”, “Bar” or “Column” from the Filter Type drop-down on the left side of the filter bar. When viewing a Bar or Column report, you can change the report type between “Normal”, “Stacked” and “100%” using the Chart Type drop-down menu on the right side of the filter bar. Hovering your mouse over a section of a stacked report will show the section criteria and the value of the metric within that section. The available metrics include:
- Average Resolution Time — clock time between when cases were opened to when they were resolved
- Average Time Open — clock time between when cases were opened to when they were closed
- Number of Cases — cases meeting the filter criteria
- Number of Cases Behind Schedule — cases due in the past
- Time Elapsed — total time worked on all cases meeting the criteria
- Time Estimated — total estimated time (including adjusted estimates) for all cases meeting the criteria
- Time Remaining —total (estimated – elapsed) for all cases meeting the criteria
The reporting axis and breakdown can be changed using the drop-down menus in the filter bar.
- Time-Based Reports
Time-based reports are line graphs (either normal or stacked) that show changes to your data over time. Along with all of the features of standard reports, time-based reports include a menu to specify the time period that your report runs over.
Time-based reports can show you the number of cases or the time estimated over time. If your filter includes cases without time estimates (and you’re viewing a report by estimated time) you’ll see an informational message letting you know that those cases are excluded from the report.
- Raw Data Summaries
Sometimes you just want to see the numbers. You can do this by selecting “Table” from the Filter Type drop-down on the left side of the filter bar. Summaries can be time-based as well.
The charts and tables have been designed with flexibility in mind. You can break down your reports by the count of cases, estimated time, time remaining or many other metrics. Through the use of plugins, reports can also be broken down by custom fields.
- Evidence-Based Scheduling
Manuscript comes with reports for each project which will help you figure out when your project will be completed. Based on the release you select, Manuscript will show you a probability distribution (using your developers’ estimates) of when your software is going to ship. You can also see your ship dates over time to see if your project is slipping, as well as developer ship date graphs that let you know which developers are overloaded and which are likely to be idle.
- Exporting Data and the XML API
If you’d like to generate report dynamically or using custom scripts, you can also obtain most of the data you need via the Manuscript API.