This article covers hardware requirements (RAM, disk size and type, RAID setup), supported operating systems, and supported database servers for FogBugz On-Premises.
FogBugz, oversimplified, has three major parts impacting hardware requirements:
- Web UI - requires Microsoft IIS Server
- SQL Database - requires Microsoft SQL Server. Can be hosted separately, for example on an existing SQL Server.
- ElasticSearch - the search engine. Needs to be on the same server with the Web UI and IIS.
- Windows Server 2012 R2 (English version only)
- Windows Server 2016 (English version only)
- Using Windows Server 2016 requires some minor adjustments to the installation script.
- SQL Server 2012
- SQL Server 2014
- SQL Server 2016
- SQL Server 2017
FogBugz uses the SQL Native Client for SQL connectivity.
- Microsoft SQL Always On Availability Groups functionality has not been tested and is not currently supported.
- Microsoft SQL Server Cluster can be used for FogBugz database hosting, but we do not provide support for any issues related to this specific configuration.
- Web UI and DB hosted on the same server: 32GB or more recommended.
- Web UI separately: 16GB or more recommended. This includes ElasticSearch memory requirements.
- The more the better, especially for ElasticSearch and the Microsoft SQL Server.
- Installing FogBugz On Premises requires 2GB of free disk space.
- Additional disk space is required for your FogBugz Elastic Search index, which is stored on your FogBugz On Premises webserver. This search index can grow to more than 30GB for installations with large case volumes.
- The SQL database size increases with the number of cases and attachments. Our customers have databases ranging from several hundred MBs to more than 300GB in size.
- When installing for the first time, you will need to add these three (installer, ElasticSearch, DB size), and reserve an additional 10-15% for the DB's search cache and free space reservation buffer.
Disk (Storage) Type
- SSDs are recommended for FogBugz On-Premises Web UI and related components.
- SSDs are also recommended because of ElasticSearch, which provides the searching and querying functionality, used extensively throughout FogBugz usage.
- Storage type IOPS are recommended per the following:
- Random 4KB Reads: Up to 75,000 IOPS
- Random 4KB Writes: Up to 11,500 IOPS
- Random 8KB Reads: Up to 47,500 IOPS
- Random 8KB Writes: Up to 5,500 IOPS
This is optional. If you choose RAID, we recommend RAID 1 or RAID 10.
- Separated web and database server usage is recommended.
- Virtual Machines can be used for FogBugz On-Premises hosting.
- Large case volume and large attachments will result in large SQL database and large ElasticSearch indexes. Plan ahead accordingly the storage size for both.
- Reserve at least 10-15% of your database size as free disk space.