Before you start installing FogBugz On-Premises on your system, you must follow specific prerequisites to have a successful and uninterrupted installation in place.
This article provides the hardware requirements, as seen in the Contents section below. Ensure all these criteria are met before you begin the installation process.
Also, see FogBugz On-Premises Pre-Installation Checklist for complete hardware and software checklist instructions.
- Windows Server 2012 R2 (English version only)
- Windows Server 2016 (English version only)
- Using Windows Server 2016 will require some manual modifications to the installation script. Contact us for specific details.
- SQL Server 2012
- SQL Server 2014
- SQL Server 2016
- SQL Server 2017
For best scaling and performance, we recommend running FogBugz On-Premises using separate web and database servers. FogBugz On-Premises can run on Virtual Machines.
- If you are installing FogBugz On-Premises and hosting its databases on a single server, we recommend at least 32GB RAM.
- If you are hosting your FogBugz On-Premises databases on a separate SQL Server, we recommend at least 16GB RAM for your FogBugz On-Premises webserver.
- Both ElasticSearch (installed on your FogBugz On-Premises webserver) and SQL Server benefit greatly from the additional RAM.
- Meeting (and exceeding) these requirements helps ensure optimal performance from FogBugz On-Premises.
- We highly recommend installing FogBugz On-Premises on SSDs.
- Whether you are searching or listing cases, planning your development cycles using the Iteration Planner, or querying case data using the FogBugz API - FogBugz On-Premises uses ElasticSearch to deliver your case data swiftly.
- Our ElasticSearch usage benefits when FogBugz On-Premises is installed on SSDs.
- Installing FogBugz On-Premises on SSDs helps ensure optimal performance from FogBugz On-Premises.
- Storage type IOPS are recommended per the following:
- Random 4KB Reads: Up to 75,000 IOPS
- Random 4KB Writes: Up to 11,500 IOPS
- Random 8KB Reads: Up to 47,500 IOPS
- Random 8KB Writes: Up to 5,500 IOPS
This is optional. If you choose RAID, we recommend RAID 1 or RAID 10.
- Installing FogBugz On-Premises requires 2GB of free disk space.
- Additional disk space is required for your FogBugz search index, which is stored on your FogBugz On-Premises webserver. This search index can grow to more massive than 30GB for installations with large case volumes.
- FogBugz On-Premises database size can vary significantly depending on case volume and usage patterns.
- If you are migrating data from an existing FogBugz For Your Server installation, FogBugz On-Premises database size and growth rate will be similar.
- If you are starting new with FogBugz On-Premises, large case volume and attachment usage tend to most strongly indicate a need for higher database storage capacity.
We have seen databases ranging from several hundred MB to more significant than 300GB in size. Please plan for consistent database growth over time.
Plan to have 10-15% of your database size as free disk space.
If your database is 270GB, you will need 27GB to 41GB for search caching and another 2GB for FogBugz On-Premises installation files and libraries, or a total of 30GB to 43GB of free space.