When you first start using Kiln, download the Kiln Client and Tools, our pre-configured Mercurial and Git clients optimized to work with Kiln.
The Kiln Client also comes with TortoiseHg - our recommended GUI (Graphical User Interface) for working with Mercurial locally.
This article walks you through the step-by-step instructions for Windows, Mac and Linux Operating systems.
- To download the Kiln Client and Tools, open a browser and log in to your Kiln website.
- In the upper-right corner, go to Resources and choose 'Kiln Client and Tools.'
Alternatively, you can go directly to
NOTE: Use https for Kiln On Demand.
- Download the Kiln Client for Windows from the link mentioned above in Step 2.
This installs TortoiseHg, the Kiln extensions and Git for Windows.
- If you have TortoiseHg and Git already installed, we recommend uninstalling them first for the best results.
- You can also choose to maintain your installations of Mercurial and Git, and install the Kiln extensions manually under the Mercurial Extensions section of the download page.
- Ensure your version of Mercurial and Git are close to the versions listed for the Kiln Client -those are the versions we test against Kiln On Demand.
- The Custom Install section guides you through the steps involved in getting Mercurial and Git set up and provides an installer script for the Kiln extensions.
For Mac and Linux
- There is no Kiln Client installer for Mac and Linux. However, if you are using Mercurial, follow the instructions from the article Installing Kiln’s Mercurial Extensions Manually.