It is a "best practice" to back up your databases regularly, and FogBugz does not escape from this.
A database backup is a pivotal point that ensures the continuity of a business in case a rollback of changes is required. A FogBugz On-Premise System Administrator should consider performing a backup before beginning the following tasks:
- Making a change in production.
- Running a maintenance task, especially if there is potential for data deletion.
- Planning a server migration.
IMPORTANT: It is highly recommended to perform a FogBugz database backup before making any changes to production, no matter how small the change.
FogBugz stores all the data necessary for it to run in a database. The name of the database containing your FogBugz data depends on the version you are using.
- If you are running FogBugz On-Premise or On-Site, the naming convention for the database is
- For FBFYS, the database is called
Whatever the case, it is highly recommended to back them up regularly.
Microsoft has a knowledge base article on how to back up your SQL Server database. Ensure you read and follow the instructions found in this official article.
Recommendation: Ensure that every time you perform a backup, you are shrinking the transaction logs to keep them small.
Where Is My Database Hosted?
If you are not sure where your database is hosted, you can find the physical server(s) hosting it by using the
- The location of this database is stored as
sFBHostedConnectionStringin the registry at:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Fog Creek Software\FogBugz\<your manuscript install directory>/Website.
Once you have identified the SQL Server hosting the
fbhosted database (from the
sFBHostedConnectionString above), you can run the following query to locate the actual FogBugz database(s):
SELECT t.ixFogBugzTrial, t.sUniqueSiteName, s.sSQLServerInstance, CONCAT('trial',t.ixFogBugzTrial)
FROM tblFogBugzTrial t
JOIN tblFogBugzTrialDBServerMap m ON t.ixFogBugzTrial = m.ixFogBugzTrial
JOIN tblFogBugzTrialDBServer s ON m.ixFogBugzTrialDBServer = s.ixFogBugzTrialDBServer
The MS SQL Manager should return something like this:
The above will tell you the name of the SQL Server Instance (
sSQLServerInstance) that hosts the database and the name of the
sDatabase (i.e. trial1) at the same time.
- FBFYS (below version 8.8.55) runs MySQL.
- Refer to the knowledge base article on how to back up your MySQL database.
- Locate the physical server of the database by looking under the Admin > Site > Database tab in FogBugz.