Moving to On Demand, our cloud-based solution, will get you the most advanced version of FogBugz and Kiln, running on the world’s best infrastructure and managed by our dedicated team of experts. We know your data and uptime are important to you and your business, so we will work with you through every step of the process. The following sections will tell you how the migration process works, including the best practices, risks, and any commonly asked questions.
In this article, you will find a high-level description of:
- How does the Migration Process Work
- What are the high-level steps of the Migration Process
- What Best Practices we recommend in General
- What are the Lead time and Downtime that you could expect
- What Risks you should expect, and how do they change the Pricing
- And a list of FAQ
How does the Migration Process Work
We schedule each migration to give each account the attention it deserves. Because of this, we only schedule migrations during our normal business hours of 9AM – 5PM Eastern Time Monday through Friday. This way, the Engineering and Support teams are available to handle any issues that may occur during the import process. Depending on where your business is located, this may not overlap with your working hours.
What are the high-level steps of the Migration Process
We’ll work with you throughout the process to answer any questions your team may have. We’ll work with you to:
- Plan and finalize the best FogBugz and/or Kiln subscription plan to meet your team’s needs.
- Choose your new URL here
- Fill out the questionnaire shared with you by the support team.
- Check the data quality of your existing FogBugz database
- Schedule a date and time for the import process
- Shut down your self-hosted version of FogBugz and/or Kiln (part of the prepare process)
- Upload your compressed (.zip) full FogBugz database backup to a secure FTP site that we provide (part of the prepare process)
- Migrate, and possibly convert, your data to FogBugz On Demand
- If using Kiln, create and push your repositories to Kiln On Demand
- Check the status of your shiny new FogBugz and/or Kiln On Demand account, and wrap things up once you’re happy!
Contact us at support.fogbugz.com to get started!
- We require that you are running the latest version of FogBugz and/or Kiln For Your Server, and the latest Windows Operating System and Microsoft SQL Server required and supported by FogBugz. If it is not the case, before moving to On-Demand, we will need to upgrade your FogBugz instance to the latest version.
- A test upload to the FTP site we provide will help you gauge the start of the migration process. Different networks and ISPs treat FTP connections differently; some can be fast, and some can be unexpectedly slow.
- Before you shut down your local FogBugz instance for the backup, you should disable any mailboxes that are configured with your account. This way you know no emails are pulled into the account until you reconfigure the mailboxes in your On Demand account.
- You will also want to disable any replication configuration set up on your database before you take the backup.
- An upload of your data at the end of your business day typically ensures we have the data at the start of our business day.
- You haven’t made any changes to the FogBugz and/or Kiln database schemas either by yourself, or by a recommendation from FogBugz Customer Service.
- You do not depend on direct access to the FogBugz and/or Kiln databases.
- You do not plan on using Active Directory or LDAP with On Demand. FogBugz On Demand does not support AD/LDAP authentication. But it does support for user authentication email/password combination, Google OAuth and SAML.
- You are flexible with the FogBugz URL changing. All URLs in On Demand are only in the format of https://<your_account_name>.fogbugz.com. For Kiln, the same applies but your URL will be in the format https://<your_account_name>.kilnhg.com.
- For Kiln, you’ll need to push the repositories you want to move to your new Kiln site after the FogBugz migration completes.
- All data in the On Demand account will be replaced in its entirety (in case you entered any data after registering your URL).
- FogBugz migrations can typically occur in as little as two business days once the On Demand subscription is finalized and data quality checks are confirmed. But in case we need to migrate from a very old version, for example FogBugz For Your Server (FYS), than the migration time could increase due to the intermediate upgrade steps: FYS -> FOP -> FOD.
- Plan for half a business day without FogBugz for a FogBugz database that is less than 10GB and meets the requirements above. They can typically be migrated in about 4 business hours.
- Plan for at least a full business day without FogBugz if the FogBugz database is larger than 10GB, or is not a backup from Microsoft SQL Server 2012 through 2017.
A few things that will delay, cancel, or prevent the migration to On Demand:
- During the migration, there may develop a complication that requires additional effort beyond the initial process. If this happens, we will notify you that we have to cancel the migration and reschedule once we resolve the issue.
- Items that could incur additional effort, time, and as such, additional cost as Professional Services.
- If you are not using the latest FogBugz and Kiln version supported, or you are not using the latest Microsoft SQL Server required and supported by FogBugz, before moving to On-Demand, we will need to upgrade your FogBugz instance to the latest version, including your Microsoft SQL Server Database to the latest version supported by FogBugz.
- If you have a MySQL database, we must take the extra step to convert the database to Microsoft SQL Server.
- If you have a MySQL database, because FogBugz uses a proprietary encoding technique with MySQL, we must take the extra step to convert the database to the desired format. As a result, the amount of time required for migration increases. In addition, we cannot guarantee all encoding issues will be resolved.
- Additional custom SQL changes done to your data can also increase the amount of migration time as well as the possibility of additional complications.
- If we do not have permission to access your data for the duration of the migration, then we cannot perform it.
- If you require PHI or HIPPA compliance, On Demand is not a good fit. Read more here.
We do require a one-year prepayment of a 10 user tier FogBugz, or higher, for databases that match our requirements. After the first year, you may switch to monthly billing if you prefer. Contact our Success Team with your Order Number to get a custom quote.
If your setup does not fit all the requirements (for example you are not running the latest FogBugz On-Premise version), Contact our Success Team with your Order Number to get a custom quote for the upgrade and migration effort.
What’s the difference between FogBugz For Your Server and FogBugz On Demand?
When could the migration be scheduled?
For how long would we be without the use of FogBugz?
Will we be able to preserve our full FogBugz case history?
– Yes, your full FogBugz case history will be migrated during this process.
Can I disable Google Analytics?
– Partially. We can disable URL prettify (which removes the case title from the URL). It is not possible to entirely disable Google Analytics in On Demand.
Can I disable New Relic?
– Yes. Please let us know if this is something you require for your On Demand account.
Can I have a test migration of partial and/or full data?
– We do not generally provide test migrations of data. We don’t mind receiving backup uploads to our FTP site and checking the hashes to test the connection, however.
Would you prefer a single backup file?
– Yes, we require a single full backup of the FogBugz database to complete the migration process to our On Demand databases. We cannot accept differential or log backups. The full backup should be in the state you wish to move to On Demand.
What is the maximum On Demand Attachment Size for emails and in case upload?
– We have a knowledge base article for that: Size Limits for Uploading File Attachments. To save you the click, our current file size limit for attachment uploads is 10 MB and for e-mails is roughly 20 MB. This will only affect you after the import: all attachments in your existing database will be imported, regardless of size.
Will the attachments be available in the Backup that I request after migrating to On Demand?
– No. FogBugz On Demand stores the attachments differently. In case you would like to use the FogBugz On-Demand database backup for comparison purposes with your On-Premise version, please specifically request such a database backup during the migration process, from the Professional Services team handling your FogBugz migration.
How can our Kiln topology be kept?
– We recommend re-creating your Kiln topology and pushing your repositories to your new Kiln On Demand repositories. This not only provides a clean repository load but lets the migration be completed faster than if we tried to include all the Kiln data. You spend less time waiting on us to complete a migration, which puts your staff back in business faster!
Will we need to recreate all the users ?
– No! All user accounts will be brought over as part of the FogBugz On Demand import process. This includes their associations with cases, such as assigned cases and case events.
Can I use LDAP/Active Directory with FogBugz On Demand?
– No, FogBugz On Demand does not support AD/LDAP authentication. But it does support for user authentication email/password combination, Google OAuth and SAML. If you migrate to On Demand, and your previous system used AD/LDAP authentication, all users will need to use “Forgot Password” to create a password at first log in.
Will existing ‘test’ cases we have created at <my_account>.fogbugz.com be deleted?
– Yes. To complete the import process, the existing FogBugz On Demand account will be cleared of all existing data.
What happens to user accounts as part of the migration (are existing ‘test’ users deleted and replaced with the users from our database, what happens to user passwords etc)?
– All data in <my_account>.fogbugz.com is replaced with all of the data from your own FogBugz database. This means that any users will also be removed from <my_account>.fogbugz.com and replaced with the users and their passwords from your own FogBugz database.
Should I disable Mailboxes in my FogBugz On-Premise/On-Site/For Your Server before uploading?
– Yes. As soon as the data is imported to On Demand, FogBugz will shortly begin to check any mailboxes that are enabled. To ensure control of the import of emails into FogBugz, you should disable the mailboxes before backing up the database.
Can I reduce downtime by providing a full database backup and a differential database backup?
– No. All the data must be migrated to On Demand in one go.
Do you comply with EU-US Privacy Shield Framework and the Swiss-US Privacy Shield Framework?
What additional privacy policies you support?
I have information dependent on a custom domain. Will I still be able to use this?
– No. Any services (e.g. API, user portals, BugzScout) that are hardcoded to a custom domain will need to be changed to work with <my_account>.fogbugz.com.
Is FogBugz On Demand PHI or HIPAA compliant?
– No. A bit more information is available here: HIPAA Compliance.
Is FogBugz LLC willing to sign an NDA?
– In most situations, yes. Send your NDA to our Success Team and we’ll review it. Please note that there may be exceptional circumstances where we will be unable to sign an NDA.
- Try FogBugz (create your URL)
- Checking Data Quality in FogBugz Databases
- Prepare my data to migrate or move to On Demand
- FogBugz On Premises System Requirements
- Disabling Mailboxes (Via Database)
- SAML Single Sign-On in FogBugz
- Professional Services Scope of Work
- Account Management Teams for FogBugz and Kiln
- HIPAA Compliance
- FogBugz Support