Moving FogBugz On-Premises databases to a new SQL Server instance is straightforward: backup the current databases, restore them on the new server, provide access to it, then update the connection string on the web server.
- SQL Administrator access to both Microsoft SQL Server instances (the "old" and the "new")
- Administrator access to the IIS server hosting FogBugz On-Premises Web UI
- Experience using SSMS (SQL Server Management Studio)
Backup the Databases
When your are moving to new SQL Server instance, it is recommended to move all three On-Premise database (fbhosted, trial1, FBODExportQueue).
- Backup the databases using SSMS.
- Take note of FogBugz' SQL Service user that has access to the databases.
- If Windows Authentication is used (recommended), you will need to provide access to the same user on the new SQL Server insance.
- If SQL Authentication is used, the given SQL user will need to have the same access rights.
For more information about the required database access levels read the Pre-Installation Checklist and Configuration Steps for FogBugz On-Premises Installation.
Restore the Databases on the new SQL Server Instance
- Restore the databases on the new SQL Server instance.
- Update the credentials on the new SQL Server, so the SQL Service user that is used by FogBugz to connect to its databases has the proper rights. This step applies whether te used authentication type is Windows or SQL.
- Once the
trial1database has been restored successfully, disable the active mailboxes. This gives you an opportunity to confirm the migrated data before pulling in new cases from any active mailboxes:
UPDATE Mailbox SET fEnabled = 0 WHERE fDeleted = 0;
Update the Connection String
- Identify your connection string on the Web Server.
- Update the Host Name of the SQL Server.
- If SQL authentication is used, and the name of the SQL user on the new server is different, update also the SQL user name in the connection string.
- Start (or restart) IIS so FogBugz Web Server applies the (new) connection string.
Execute the Upgrade Tasks
If you are upgrading, execute the steps described in the article Upgrading FogBugz On-Premise.
Re-Enable the Mailboxes
Once you confirmed that the move to the new server has been successful, re-enable the mailboxes by running the following update on
UPDATE Mailbox SET fEnabled = 1 WHERE fDeleted = 0;